Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Principles 4&5

August 5, 2008- When I read the 4th principle of Celebrate Recovery I start to get a little uncomfortable. "Openly examine and confess my faults to God, to myself, and to someone I trust. " What? Look I don't have a problem with the examine part, but the confessing part sounds a bit personal. I can even see telling God about my faults, but others?
Pride has to go for this to be an authentic change. When we first acknowledge, then confess our faults, we take pride out of the equation and God can do what He needs to in our lives. That is where true growth and development start.
Priciple 5 goes one step further. "Voluntarily submit to every change God wants to make in my life and humbly ask Him to remove my character defects". God has made us new right? Then why all this need for Him to remove defects, shouldn't that happen when I came into relation with Him? Yes and no. He has made us new and we are to walk in that newness, but let me put it this way. The old me is the same as some of our old friends. You don't see him alot but every time you do he wants to go out to eat and think back on the good old days. The only problem is this guy isn't going anywhere, never was. And we always get stuck with the bill. You see we're stuck with the check from that old self. But we are new, and this new person should happily move through life closing old accounts, because we had some bad accounts and someone came and joyfully hung on a cross and paid them. And by the way, I'm not just writing general commintary on these principles. They are at work in my life as we speak.

No comments: