Monday, December 28, 2009

Ratio Perspective


December 28, 2009- This past week, my wife and I took some time off in the beautiful city of Savannah, Ga. It was wonderful! The whole place was incredible. It is a place where time stands still. The history of this city is alive and well even today. But there was one place that I was drawn to time and time again. It was a monument to "John Wesley" . I was drawn to this monument of this great man of God. So naturally I had my wife get a photo of me standing next to this giant of the faith. I was truly fulfilled with this accomplishment until I looked at the photo. No ghosts(it is Savannah you know), but what struck me was the difference in our sizes. Now when I say this, I am saying nothing to discount any men of God today, what I am about to say was merely personal conviction. So here it is. This man was HUGE next to me. I looked so tiny. And you know what? I felt so tiny. The thing is, where are these giants of the faith today? I am a minister, and after thinking of all the accomplishments and sacrifices of Wesley, I simply felt small. I felt inadequate. It seems it is so easy to get comfortable with church and how we do things, that we think we are effective for the gospel. It's not that we aren't effective, but this simple picture taken on my vacation stirred a fire in me not only to do more but to be more!!!

No comments: