Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Kickin' it Old School

October 21, 2009- Do you remember the things that you now consider to be "Old School"? I do. Things like parachute pants, Members Only jackets, the polo and oxford combo? Maybe you can take old school further back than that. Either way, we can get so caught up in doing things in the now, that we forget the really cool old school things. For example, what about faith? Is our faith an area that we continue to get more and more relevant to the world? Is that really effective, or is it dangerous? Or is it both? I have found in my life, that the more culturally relevant that I try to become, the harder it is to work out my salvation. I think in some areas that the church has tried so hard to become a cool place for people far from Christ, that it becomes hard for the world to tell the difference. That is a problem. How can we touch the world if the world can't tell us apart? We truly need to get back to some good ole fashioned "Old School Faith". So tonight in our youth ministry service, that's what we are going to talk about. Taking it back old school. Go back to where the Lord found you, and think on how cool those parachute pants were after all.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I loved your parachute pants and you looked so handsome in your Member's only. but I can really take "old school" back to really cool times in my faith.
Mom